Try My1Voice FREE for 30 days!
July 16, 2009
I've held off reviewing my1voice for a long time and I'm glad I did. As a relatively new player to the virtual pbx arena, my1voice recently made some significant changes to their virtual pbx plans that will help them compete with the veteran companies. All of the changes made were positive and I think my1voice will carve out a niche in the virtual pbx industry.
The great news is that my1voice made the decision to provide ALL of their features with ALL of their plans. This allows you to pick a plan based on the number of minutes you need with the peace of mind that you aren't missing out on anything. While my1voice doesn't offer as many features as some of their competitors, they do offer the most popular ones.
When my1voice tells you there are no extra charges, they mean it! There are no additional charges for the following items which most other companies pass along to the consumer:
- Vanity Numbers - no charge
- Setup - no charge
- Transfer of existing number - no charge
Configuring my1voice account was a bit trickier than other companies I've looked at. The on-screen hints were non-existent and unless you have experience working with virtual pbx systems you will probably find that setup takes longer to figure out than you would expect.
Of all the my1voice features I configured I was very pleased with their call scheduling interface. This graphically based utility helps you set the hours you want to receive calls quickly and easily. Their configuration currently lacks the ability to add in rules for holidays, but for many this basic option will be ideal. Those looking for holiday scheduling should take a look at RingCentral.
Need some extra help configuring your settings? my1voice offers webinars to go over their most popular features. I was pleased to receive the email from them asking if I would be interested in signing up. This is a great option; however, it would be nice if they had a version of this presentation available for new users to view on demand as most people do not want to wait up to a week for help.
- my1voice does NOT charge for porting your existing toll-free number to your new account! This was a very smart move on their part!
- my1voice does not provide you with the option for a true 800 number. You can currently only select 888, 877 and 866 numbers.
- Documentation is not great right now. The on-screen hints are lacking and the pdf documentation does not explain every step needed. For example, I found this to be the case with the virtual calling card, placing calls on hold and ACD queuing.
my1voice - Things to be aware of:
- While you can receive incoming faxes, you cannot send faxes with your my1voice account. To send faxes you will also need to sign up for their myfax product. Prices start at just $10 per month.
- Visit MyFax.com for details on pricing and features!
- my1voice billing of minutes seems to round up to the minute and billing starts from the moment the auto-attendant starts processing the call.
- ACD Queuing can be added to every account. To add this feature you should contact a sales representative as it is not added automatically when you create your account.
- You can create your own greetings by phone or on your pc. On your pc you need to create WAV files and then upload the file to your account. There is no way to record your message directly on the my1voice website.
- Recordings on your pc should be recorded as 128kbps bit rate, 16 bit audio sample size, mono (1 channel), 8 kHz audio sample rate, PCM format. (8Khz, 16-bit, PCM)
- If you're looking for a vanity number you can create it at no cost at the time of registration. However, it's easy to miss (I missed the first time I went through registration).
my1voice Special Features
- my1voice provides professionally recorded greetings. The initial company greeting is free to all my1voice customers. All other greetings need to be recorded by you or you will need to pay for added greetings.
- my1voice provides unlimited extensions at no additional cost! This is a great feature and puts them in competition with Grasshopper.
- my1voice allows you to "Tag" the caller id number so you can tell if the call is coming from your my1voice number or if someone called your number directly. However, not all phone carries allow extra text to be sent through caller ID. I tried this feature with my phone and it didn't work - I just received an "out of area" message on my caller id.
- my1voice provide "web calls" similar to RingCentral's "click to call". From your account you can generate a button like this one:
You include this button and link information on your website or in your emails and people can click it to call you.
my1voice Contract Length
- Month to Month - no charges to cancel
- There is a $5 fee per month for each additional toll-free number you want associated with your account.